SCRP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SCRP

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

-Prolouge-

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Nevermore
Comet
Comet
Nevermore

-Prolouge- Empty
PostSubject: -Prolouge-   -Prolouge- I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 1:29 am

Prologue

I sat quietly in my study, lording over a book filled to the brim with ancient text. I went over lines several times each, mumbling a couple words to myself. I jumped slightly as a knock came to my door.
"Yes, yes, come in," I said, not bothering to look back to see who it was. I heard the door creak open silently behind me, followed by the dull thumping sound of leather boots.
"Arch-Mage," came a voice. Immediately I knew it was Raymond. "The new class is here. It's time for your speech," he said, giving a slight bow. I sat up slowly, giving a loud yawn.
"Please, Raymond," I said, "don't call me "Arch-Mage." We've known each other for years. Just dispense of the formalities already," I complained. While I was grateful about the fact I was Arch-Mage of the Mage's Society, I disliked it when people addressed me as such. Formalities never were something I had ever cared much for. "I'll be along shortly," I mumbled afterwards, closing the old volume laid before me.
"Yes, Arch- ... I mean Gerard," said Raymond quietly as he bowed again and slowly backed out of the room, shutting the door behind him.
"He's never going to learn, is he?" I asked myself, chuckling quietly. It seemed that no matter how many times I told people not to, they still called me "Arch-Mage." "I suppose I'll just have to get used to it," I grumbled as I walked over to the door and placed my left hand upon it. I looked over my shoulder to the chandelier hanging from the roof. I rose my right hand and give a quick snap. Almost instantly, all the candles blew out, engulfing the room in its familiar, eerie darkness. I sighed and walked out of the room, closing the door behind me.
I proceeded down the candlelit hall to a circular platform just big enough for one person to stand in. I stepped upon it and closed my eyes in concentration. A blue light enveloped me and, almost in an instant, I was in a completely different room. I opened my eyes, my irritation peaking as several mages bowed deeply, all uttering, "Greetings, Arch-Mage," in unison. I took in a deep breath and massaged my temples, small visions of bright lights dancing in the darkness. I opened my eyes with a long sigh and waved them off. I proceeded forward once again, my robes flailing behind me as I went. Within a couple minutes I could hear the throng of voices all calling out at once. The voices of hundreds of students all clamoring in the Great Hall. A small smile lined my face as memories that seemed eons ago entered my mind once again. Memories ranging from first joining the Guild of Mages to the day I was inducted as Arch-Mage. They all seemed so long ago. But now wasn't the moment for that. I cleared my mind as I approached a great, crimson curtain ordoned with ropes as thick as a man’s arms with tassels as large as hands at the end of them. The curtains opened and I stepped out onto the stage. Almost instantly a great, awkward silence befell the room. A strong sense of tension followed afterwards as I approached a podium in the middle of the stage. The only sound that echoed though the hollow halls were the dull tapping of my deerskin shoes against the worn oak wood floors. I reached the podium and faced the great room cramped with students. Another small smile attached itself to my face. Why, I did not know.
"Students," I said. It wasn't necessary to speak loudly since my voice carried so easily though the giant room. "I am Arch-Mage Gerald. I welcome you all to the Mage's Society University. As you all know, you have acquired the needed recommendations from guild halls spread all throughout the region. Henceforth I now name you all Apprentices!" I said, maintaining my smile.
A light clamor started to rear up but was quickly quelled by Raymond's gavel. I closed my eyes, sighing once again. The thought process that had plagued the Society for years was easily still in effect. "When the Arch-Mage is talking, don't talk or we'll discharge you!" Or at least that is what my friends and I had always jested about it. I opened my eyes again to face the students.
"You shall receiver your robes after my speech," I said. "Now, seeing as how you all have been from one guild hall to the next all over the region, I've no doubt that you've seen some of the wrongdoings that can, indeed, happen amongst the people of the Society. We're all just humans, after all, and to err is no stranger," I went on. "But we of the Society wish to make an attempt to change that. But the power we wield and the influence we can make is very limited. Fate has other plans for what is to be. We can only attempt to slightly alter the course, though it takes a great many factors to do so. Now some of you may not realize this dream, but I'm positive there are some of you that are. Some of you who have seen gruesome things in your life. Corruption, evil... perhaps you've even had someone die in your arms," I continued, muttering at the end. I paused for a moment and looked down at my hands, an irking feeling enveloping me. I shook my head a couple times and looked back up at the students; some of whom had a confused look on their face. "I shall inform you all now so I may end this speech sooner and you all can get familiar with the building... if you're stuck on something or have a problem... my chamber is open to you. I am no stranger to pain and suffering. I will try my best to help console you... or, perhaps, if you just can't get that potion right... you know," I said. Afterwards I made a quiet exploding sound, shaking my hands around a bit. Quiet laughter escaped the lips of some of the students. "I'm familiar with that as well. And I'd be more than happy to try and help you with educational difficulties as well. Now! You all are dismissed, and have a wonderful year!" I said, raising up my hands.
A loud cheer exploded from all the students as over half of them sprang from their seats, bolting out of the several doors in the room. I smiled at their joy and turned around, slowly walking off-stage.
"Another wonderful speech, Gerard," said Raymond as he followed behind me.
"If you say so, but I bid you to not rap your gavel when students want to talk about becoming Apprentices," I said as I continued walking. Raymond said nothing in rebuttal. "Now I'd go make sure everyone gets a robe and knows where their dorm is... and if one of the students wished to see me, do not send them away again."
"Yes, Gerard..." muttered Raymond as he turned heel and walked the opposite direction. I continued down the hall, back to the teleport pad. I stood on it once again, closed my eyes, concentrated, and was sent back to my room. I opened my eyes and stepped off the teleport pad, kicking off my deerskin shoes. I approached my bed and sat down on it, looking at my hands once again, thinking about what I had mentioned to the students earlier.
Perhaps you've even had someone die in your arms...
Haunting memories drove themselves into my head like a maul to a wooden stake; sharp and unwelcome. I closed my eyes once again and massaged my temples, watching the familiar, multi-colored lights dance before me like arcs of tracer fire. I was broken from this display by a knock at the door.
"Come in," I said as I leaned up and looked towards the door, expecting Raymond. But, to my surprise, it wasn't him. It was a tall, thin boy with dirt-brown hair and deep blue eyes. "Oh, I'm sorry, boy! Please, please come in! I was expecting my Second-in-Charge."
"I'm sorry to disturb you, Arch-Mage. I just wanted to talk about what you said earlier," he said.
"You may just call me Gerard if you like, formalities aren't my thing," I said. "And what would you like to discuss?" I asked as I sat him down in a chair and approached a small table, pouring us both a cup of tea. I wanted to make him feel at home.
"Oh... I apologize... my name is Alexander," said the boy. I walked over and handed him a cup of tea. He muttered a thank you and took a drink, then set it down on its saucer on the table. "About... experiencing pain and sorrow throughout your life."
I immediately came to attention and sat down in my large, oversized, cushioned chair.
"What is it about, Alexander? You can talk to me."
"Well it wasn't one of my problems, per se," he said. "I was... just curious... about what you were referring to earlier."
I paused for another moment and eyed the lad named Alexander before me.
"I-If it's too personal, you don't need to tell me. I suppose it was just nostalgia..."
"No, no. It's quite alright, Alexander," I said as I set down my tea. "You're not the first one to inquire about the aforementioned experience. Nor will you be the first to hear it, so no need to worry," I assured him. I took in a deep breath and sighed as I leaned back in my chair.
"Well... my career in the Mage's Society started out just as yours had. I was an Apprentice as well and went back to the guild hall in which I called "home." The one located in Bravynhail," I said. "Me and one of my friends always loved to play jokes on the head of the guild," I said, chuckling. "We were both Journeymen. I will never forget... 'twas on a Mordas evening. She walked in, looking for a recommendation..."
Back to top Go down
Hinaoki
Mars
Mars
Hinaoki

-Prolouge- Empty
PostSubject: Re: -Prolouge-   -Prolouge- I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 11:31 am

I have to say, very good. I spotted a few mistakes, but otherwise your style and way of advancing the plot is good. Just a thing; it'd be nice if you could add spacing every time you start a new paragraph; in books it might not be so bad, but when you're reading this on the computer it's somewhat hard on the eyes. Smile
Back to top Go down
Nevermore
Comet
Comet
Nevermore

-Prolouge- Empty
PostSubject: Re: -Prolouge-   -Prolouge- I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 11:39 am

I appreciate the compliment. =)

Don't worry about pointing out mistakes. To the contrary; please point them out. I know there's plenty of them in there that I've probably overlooked...

As for putting spacing in before each paragraph, I understand how that is. XD I've been meaning to put spaces in there forever, I just haven't gotten to it quite yet.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, though. =) Please keep reading.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

-Prolouge- Empty
PostSubject: Re: -Prolouge-   -Prolouge- I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

-Prolouge-
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SCRP :: General :: The Library :: Claire-
Jump to: