SCRP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SCRP

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Power_Of_Ghost's Guide to writing books

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
power_of_ghost
Mars
Mars
power_of_ghost

Power_Of_Ghost's Guide to writing books Empty
PostSubject: Power_Of_Ghost's Guide to writing books   Power_Of_Ghost's Guide to writing books I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 9:20 pm

This is a list of important guide for writers everywhere. Follow this and you'll book have a higher chance of being succesful and also info on how you can make it easy on yourself.

1. Pick a length for yourself, is it a one-time deal? is it a very long series? is it a short series?

Generally, one-time deal should be really well done but not too long(think of Lord Of the Flies), I recommend 45k-95k wordlength. These books are the one that university studies studies. Anything below 45k may be unacceptable as those books are usually a two hour read and can be considered "too easy"

Very long(8 or more) series should have the first book shortest, this is to see if people like it or not. You can have any span after the 3-4 book, but generally best to keep the first few books short to get people interest. Too long book may not attract people.If you're going for a very long series, have the first few books 30k-100k in length and the rest can vary from 50k-200k. I don't recommend anything over 250k as those stories are really long, streched out and really hard to write.(You'll be wasting 20 pages of text just to describe an attack!)

Short series, should be similar to very long series, but the exception is that try to make your story not to long, but not to short either.

2. Always start with the introduction and ending.

Introduction and ending are easist to do, you the author know what happens at the very start and very end, these are usually fixed. Think of fixed RPs, the beginning and ending are probably fixed and what ever in the middle just can be whatever since only the ending and intro are important.

3. Don't overwork yourself.

When writing a book, don't spend an entire day just to write 10,000 words. Most people get tired of writing a 500 word essay as it is. Try to span out a time and plan a schedule for yourself, I recommend mininum of 1,000 words per day. Imagine in a month or so, you have 60,000 word length book!

4. CREATE A PROPER MAGIC SYSTEM

Magic system are very important, random magic usage is just foolish. Have a basis for magic in your book, whether it be incantations, drawing on hidden source, drawing from an object, using an object, or sacrificing, make sure to have a system. This way you can prevent random spells(Think of the stupidity of anyone able to destroy a planet with "magic"!) If you can't pick a good magic system, try looking at books such as Wheel of Time, the Mistfiends or the Diadem. Those three are good places to start. Don't try to do anything similar to harry potter, the magic system in the book is complicated as it is.

5. DO NOT HAVE THE ABILITY TO BRING BACK LIFE.

I can't stress how important this is, bringing back life is a very very NO-NO. In most plot, dying is the ultimate conflict/lost, if you have magic being able to bring people back to life, that would ruin the the point of the most plot. Think of every book/TV show and movie, have you ever seen people bringing back to life? The only exception is bringing back people from the NEAR-Dead.

6. Get a friend to edit for you.

People are idiots and will steal your book ideas and publish as your own, make sure to trust people you know that can be trusted.

7. Don't count on it for a movie.

The chances of a book being made into a movie is fairly rare, about 1 in 100. The only guaranteer it will be made into a movie if it gets popular the instant its published.

8. Feel free to RP if you get writer's block.

Face it, one of us will get a writer's block once in a while. If you can't think of anything, get members of the community, PM me and we'll RP out your book and you just tell us what you want to happen, come to you evenutally.

9. Picture out what you're going to describe.

Some people just can't describe their book carefully(I have this handicap), if you have problems, try to look outside and search up random pictures related to what you're describing. Try to picture the event in your book in your head, and then describe that.

~More coming up.
Back to top Go down
Gort the mighty
Mercury
Mercury
Gort the mighty

PostSubject: Re: Power_Of_Ghost's Guide to writing books   Power_Of_Ghost's Guide to writing books I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 7:42 pm

how about, dont copy every other book and call it yours?
Back to top Go down
power_of_ghost
Mars
Mars
power_of_ghost

PostSubject: Re: Power_Of_Ghost's Guide to writing books   Power_Of_Ghost's Guide to writing books I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 8:05 pm

lol...no, i think that doesn't belong there
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Power_Of_Ghost's Guide to writing books   Power_Of_Ghost's Guide to writing books I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Power_Of_Ghost's Guide to writing books
Page 1 of 1